Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I Suck at Stretching

Confession - I hardly ever stretch after a workout.

My main excuse is that I HATE being in sweaty clothes. I don't mind sweat one bit while I'm actually working out, but as soon as I'm done I cannot get out of those clothes fast enough! So, by the time I've changed, I usually don't want to be bothered with stretching. Oh, and did I mention my cat just loves to "help" on the rare occasion that I do attempt it? And by help, I mean licking my hair and walking all over me :P

However, my legs have been killing me lately! I've been pushing a little harder, incorporating hills and speed work into my training plan, and it is definitely taking a toll on my body. I actually found myself craving yoga the other day.


(Source)
I bought Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown a while ago, but I've only done it once or twice. I pretty much love all of Jillian's workouts and if anyone can make yoga bearable it's her! I think this dvd is a good one for people like me who aren't at all interested in the more zen-like types of yoga. Oh, and I'm super excited that I'm going to see Jillian when she comes to Ottawa in May :)

I'm also hoping that incorporating more stretching into my routine will help get rid of the plantar faciitis I've been dealing with lately.

(Source)

I tried the rolling a cold Coke can (or in my case, a Dr. Pepper can) under my foot yesterday and I think it might work cause my foot wasn't nearly as sore as it has been this morning! I hardly ever drink this stuff but I found a can in the back of my fridge and I'll be putting it to good use from now on ;)

What are your favorite yoga dvds?
Any tips for getting rid of plantar faciitis?

P.S. I've had to add word verification to the comments cause I've been getting way too much spam. Sorry!

19 comments:

  1. I love Bob Harper's Yoga for the Warrior! You can also try rolling your foot with a tennis ball - works great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never done a Bob Harper workout but I'll try it :) Thanks for the tennis ball tip, I'll have to go buy one!

      Delete
  2. I'm very shyly raising my hand because i'm not a stretcher either...it bores me. haha! :(
    Jillian's going to Ottawa soon?! how cool!

    I don't own her yoga dvd, I have a completely random yoga dvd that I've never even looked at yet though :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure Jillian is going to Toronto too so you should check if you're a fan :)!

      Delete
  3. I have to admit that I've never seen Jillian's yoga DVD - but there are plenty of others that aren't too zen-y, either. I actually kinda like Rodney Yee's DVDs - Power Yoga is good multi-tasking (stretching, but it also feels like a workout). I also like his "AM Yoga For Your Week": about 20 minutes on 5 different body areas, one per day. Good variety, and I find myself plugging in the "Hips and legs" fairly often.

    For a little extra 'hit', try freezing a water bottle. BRRRR, but good. And I second the tennis ball suggestion. I have one that lives under my desk, just for that reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of those yoga dvds, thanks for suggesting them! Freezing a water bottle is a great idea, I'll have to try that too.

      Delete
  4. Tennis ball, ice, rest, foot inserts and taping are all the things I do for PF.. You must stretch, or you will make it worse... sigh..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I have to get into the habit of stretching! Thanks for the tips, I know you're dealing with the same thing :(

      Delete
  5. I stretch after every run because I'm in a running group with a coach making us stretch. I need that, though! I find stretching (and yoga) boring. I should give yoga a try again ... so many people love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I need - someone to force me to do it :P I do find stretching and yoga pretty boring too, which is why I don't do it often enough!

      Delete
  6. Luckily I've never had pf, so I don't have any advice for you on that one, but I do get foot pain and find that using a golf ball to really pinpoint burning spots helps (like a tiny foam roller for my feet!).

    The only yoga DVD I have is P90X yoga and that is NOT a relaxing stretch! It's a 90 minute sweat-fest that I hate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tried using one of my cat's toys that's about the size of golf ball, but he thought we were playing :P I've only ever watched a p90x dvd and it terrified me! That and the guy drives me nuts, how do people listen to him for 90 days?!?! lol

      Delete
    2. Haha that's so cute about your cat :)

      I love Tony! He is so over the top, he cracks me up. My favourite Tony-ism is "Do your best, forget the rest" :)

      Delete
  7. That's such a good idea, using a cold soda can. I hope stretching helps=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)I hope so too, this pf is so annoying!

      Delete
  8. That is the yoga dvd I use. Because I do not like yoga. I do not like stretching. But I do like Jillian Michaels kickin my butt:). About two years ago I got planter faciitis is both feet- super not awesome. I bought strasburg socks and tried to wear them every night. They are super uncomfortable and annoying but seemed to work. I also used a baseball to roll my feet with- I had a lot of scar tissue building up so that might not be necessary and does not feel great. The other thing was I got less supportive shoes. I over pronate on the left side due to breaking my foot but my right side is neutral so I ended up trying a super stable shoe and within two runs bam feet were on fire and I am slow so kept running for awhile and it got pretty bad. Went to a different running store and they recommended a supportive shoe but one that was less corrective and have been okay ever since. Icing and not running for a few weeks to let the inflammation go down also help if you can manage it. That was probably way too much info. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, in both feet! I've never heard of those socks, so I'll have to check them out. So far the cold can has been working for me, as long as I do it every day, whether I run or not. I have a half coming up in a month so I don't really want to cut back on running until after that but I am trying to be careful not to let the pf get too bad before the race. Thanks so much for all the tips, I appreciate it :)

      Delete
  9. I have to stretch after I run. I just have to or I don't feel complete.

    Yoga is my happy place. I need it to feel sane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on making it a habit so I too feel like I have to do it or won't feel complete!

      Delete