Monday, March 25, 2013

Sleep

I love to sleep.  Anyone who knows me knows that this is what they should expect if they dare wake me up.

(Source)
But things have been busy lately and as we all know, sleep is one of the first things to go! I was soooo exhausted last week and I just could not shake it. I felt like I could fall asleep at any minute, anywhere.  Seriously, I was afraid my boss would catch me like this.

(Source)
Needless to say, my workouts for the week were less than stellar. I still managed to get my 5 miles in on Monday, but I only got through 1 mile on Wednesday before giving up and just walking.  And I didn't even try to do my long run this weekend.

I have noticed that weeks like this seem to happen once during every training cycle. Part of it is being physically exhausted, but I also know part of it is mental. I let my "bad" week shake my confidence and that contributed to my skipping my long run.  On the other hand, I knew my body and brain both needed a break! I've had some good double-digit runs in the last month and I still have 2 more on the schedule before my next half-marathon so I'm not too concerned.

(Source)
I had an extremely lazy weekend, taking naps each day and going to bed ridicously early, so I'm hoping that I've caught up on whatever sleep I needed!

Do you have days (or weeks) where you just can't shake that exhausted feeling?
Do you find you have an off week in every training cycle too?

P.S. Searching for pictures of sleeping cats is not a bad way to start your Monday ;)

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I have times where I can't shake it off.. I also find it's not the best to run or workout hard because I'm fearful of injury.. How's your PF going??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and yes. [Although if the first is persistent in a way that doesn't match your activity...get your iron checked! :)]

    I think everyone (except maybe mutants/aliens) have an off-week here and there. Do your best, get back at it ASAP. I share Sarah's question, though - how's the PF?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to all of this!! Sometimes the best thing you can do for your training, your health, etc. is do NOTHING and just rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a very similar week-some skipped workouts and extra sleep. I figure if I hit 75- 80% of my planned workouts I am good. Training schedules are guidelines, I doubt anyone actually does all their scheduled workouts. Life is too crazy for that:).

    ReplyDelete