Monday, April 22, 2013

More/Fitness Magazine Women's Half-Marathon

Huh, well apparently I took a little break from blogging! It was totally unintentional; I kept thinking about writing a post, but it just didn't happen. Oops!

I want to start by saying that my heart goes out to all the runners, families, and friends who were affected by the Boston Marathon bombings. The running community is so amazing, one that I feel truly blessed to be a part of, and to have it attacked felt very personal, even though I don't know anyone in real life who was in Boston that day. The response has truly been heartwarming and has made me love runners that much more. I also think law-enforcement deserves a tremendous amount of gratitude for putting their own lives on the line to catch these guys!

On a much brighter note, I ran my 5th half-marathon last weekend, the More/Fitness Women's Half-marathon in Central Park. This was my first women's only race and it was pretty inspirational to see women of all ages, shapes and sizes running and/or walking this race.


The weather was absolutely spectacular, just cool enough and the sun was shining brightly. I was so, so calm on the way to this race for some reason. I stayed at a hotel about a mile from the race start, and made my way down 5th Avenue on Sunday morning; I love walking around midtown early on weekends cause it is so much more pleasant before all the crowds arrive!



I knew this race was going to be challenging, what with all the hills, but I still had a secret goal of breaking 2:20. So far my fastest race had been just under 2:25 but I felt as though I had worked harder this training cycle, incorporating hills, some speed, and doing my long runs faster than I have in the past. 

I'll admit they really weren't kidding when they warned us about the hills, but I managed to push through them and cherish the downhill portions of the race! Looking back at my splits I managed to keep a fairly steady pace throughout the race. There were times I felt I was trudging through mud and was pleasantly surprised when I looked at my watch and found I was moving a lot faster than I thought. The last few miles were pretty rough, but I knew that I was still on track for a PR so I just kept pushing. I was beyong thrilled when I crossed the finish line and knew I had made it under 2:20 - my official time is 2:18:44!


I really loved everything about this race. Of course, the fact that it was in NYC has something to do with that ;) But I found it really well-organized, the crowd support was great, and just the atmosphere in general made it an amazing experience. I would definitely do this race again :)


Has anyone else had an awesome race lately? Or one coming up?

17 comments:

  1. Congrats on that PR!! That's awesome, especially with those hills! My awesome race was my marathon last Saturday. I guess I can say I PR'd since it was my first! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D You did awesome on your marathon and I think it's great that you're already thinking of doing another one!

      Delete
  2. Amazing how a taste of a PR makes pushing through the last hard bits somehow seem worthwhile, huh? :)

    Congrats on a PR, on mental toughness, and an overall awesome race! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was all worth it :) I love the feeling of pushing beyond what I think I can do!

      Delete
  3. Congrats!!!! PRs make races extra special. I am super excited about my marathon next weekend! Fingers crossed for a PR.I really like that medal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the medal too, it's one of my favs so far. You'll do great on your marathon, I can't wait to hear about it.

      Delete
    2. I know you have mentioned it before but what half are you doing in Chicago in the fall? I am thinking maybe a blogger meet-up might be in order if you are up for it:)! And thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete
    3. It's the Chicago Half on September 8 - www.chicagohalfmarathon.com/
      Are you doing it too? A blogger meet up would be awesome :)!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your PR! How exciting! I can't wait to hear about your next endeavor...I'm living vicariously through you at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Sounds like you'll be running painlessly again soon!!

      Delete
  5. Woo-hoo! Congratulations on an amazing race and PR! I'd love to run through Central Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Running through Central Park is so awesome, I'm super jealous of people who get to do it all the time.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! I ran the More/fitness Women's Half too. This was my 5th half marathon and 3rd More/fitness half. Great stuff! See my recap at asicsmom.com. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne :) It's awesome that's you've done it three times! I'd love to do it again too.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the PR. I got a PR on Sunday at the Goodlife Fitness Toronto Half Marathon. Next up the Bluenose 10K on the 19th and then 5K at ORW May 25th. Are you running ORW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome job on your PR :) I'm not doing any of the ORW events but I'll try to get out there to cheer. Best of luck tomorrow!!

      Delete
  8. Hey lady, since the demise of Google Reader I've been checking in here every once in awhile, but not often enough! I'm using feedly now, what are you using? I can't find you on feedly, so if you have an RSS feed, please let me know!

    Anyway, I hope you've been well and I miss your posts. Have you started that writing blog?
    xx Erin

    ReplyDelete